Making New Zealand roads safer with variable message signs
We worked with NZTA and local authorities to improve roading network safety and driver information.
WSP Opus worked with NZTA and local authorities to improve roading network safety and driver information through variable message signs. As part of a major three year VMS procurement contract, WSP Opus co-ordinated civil works for VMS including support structures and power reticulation.
One of our goals was to achieve consistency of design, construction, performance and appearance across the regions. We wrote the VMS procurement tender document and served on the tender evaluation team.
Our role in the project covered:
- Investigations and feasibility studies
- Environmental planning
- Capital and operating budgets
- Preparation of tender documents
- Contract supervision and project management
- Optimised site selection
- Traffic safety
- Geotechnical investigation
- Structural design
- Electronics and communication systems